Sedation Dentistry - Conscious Sedation & Relaxation DentistryRegardless of the need for sedation dentistry, we always strive to provide the most anxiety-free experience at West Market Dental. However, feel free to ask us about sedation dentistry if you are interested in finding out more or feel that it is necessary for you. Conscious sedation dentistry is also sometimes referred to as relaxation dentistry. Conscious Sedation is defined as a minimally depressed level of consciousness that retains the patient's ability to independently and continuously maintain an airway and respond appropriately to physical stimulation and verbal command and that is produced by pharmacological or nonpharmacologic method or combination thereof. Because patients are fully responsive when under conscious sedation, this method of sedation is often incorrectly called sleep dentistry. The two types of sedation offered at West Market Dental include Oral Conscious Sedation and Inhalation Sedation ...
This oral medication used for Oral Conscious Sedation in dentistry are from a group of drugs known as Benzodiazapines. Not only do these medications have a sedative effect they also have some degree of amnesic effect for most people. Patients remember little or nothing about their dental appointment.
Advantages to Dental Oral Sedation:
- Easy to administer: Swallow a small pill
- It is safe and easy to monitor
- Works well for most people
- Low Cost
Disadvantages of Dental Oral Sedation:
- The level of Sedation is not easily changed
- Someone must drive you to and from your dental appointment
- There is no analgesic (pain relief effect)
What medications are used for Dental Oral Sedation?
- The most common medication is Halcion (triazolam). Halcion provides a deep level of relaxation and amnesia effect.
- Ativan (Lorazepam) and Valium (Diazepam) are two other commom Benzodiazpines used
Nitrous Oxide and Oxygen ("laughing gas") has been used as the most frequent and primary means of sedation used in dentistry for many years.
Advantages or Dental Inhalation Sedation:
- Works well for mild to moderate anxiety
- Ideal method of sedation for children
- Rapid Onset
- Flexible duration can be used for any appointment length
- Absolute Control. It is easy to quickly control the level of sedation which may be altered moment to moment.
- People recover quickly
- Very few side effects
- There is an analgesic effect
- You can return to normal activities immediately
Disadvantages of Dental Inhalation Sedation:
- Severe anxiety may require a deeper level of sedation
- Not indicated for people who have respiratory problems (Asthma and Emphysema)
- Claustrophobic patients do not like anything covering their nose
- Apparatus can be combersome for long appointments or when working on top front teeth
Below are some of the more popular services that patients frequently inquire about.
contact usAt West Market Dental, we provide all aspects of family, as well as, preventative, and cosmetic dentistry. If you have any questions, or to schedule a consultation visit, feel free to call our Calgary dental office to speak to one of our dentistst. We offer convenient location with ample free parking, and early morning and evening appointments.